Monday 29 March 2021

Paper pieced Duckling...

Hello again, Blogger buddies! I'm back to share my next card for Ruth Hamilton Design - this time, I have used the super cute Duckling image and thought I would show you how to colour an image without having to be an expert colourist...

Despite being a seasoned colourist, there are times when even I get a bit daunted by an image - usually when there is a large expanse to fill and so I thought I would share how I use paper piecing to tackle images with large areas that can otherwise look a little flat, if your not an expert at colouring in and creating shade and texture...

I printed off the Duckling image using 4 x 6 Paper Size and Image size 6 x 8cm (if you'd like to learn more about using your printer to change the size of images, check out my Printing Tutorials page HERE) I placed one of the printed images back into my printer and printed a yellow polka dot pattern over the top...

I coloured the duckling's beak, feet and flower on the main image and added some grass using different shades of green. I then added a bit of shading on the yellow image (even one pen colour could do this and then blend the edges out with a blender pen) and fussy cut the body - don't worry about trying to follow the furry lines of the image, cut a smooth line as they will be on the image underneath. I decided I wanted to add some inked clouds to the background so printed the image off with the same settings onto copy paper and cut out the duckling to create a mask. I placed this over the main duckling image and used a die cut cloud border to ink lightly with Broken China Distress Oxide, to create the sky effect. (You could probably do this without a mask as long as you are careful not to get ink on the flower or beak as the body will be covered up) I then adhered the yellow body of the duckling over the main image...


I mat the image onto cream paper and then onto blue gingham, using a 5 x 7 inch card blank. I die cut some clouds and printed off the word Easter using Autumn in November font. I roughly positioned the word and stamped 'wishes' underneath before attaching 'Easter' with foam pads...

I was really happy with how this cute card turned out and hope it helps to give you the inspiration to have a go at paper piecing...

Crafty hugs,



1 comment:

Wendy said...

So gorgeous Lisa, love your paper pierced duckling 🐥
Wendy x